New Views is the National Theatre’s annual playwriting programme for 14 to 19-year-olds.
Every year, hundreds of students from across the UK learn about playwriting from some of the finest writers in the industry and write their own 30-minute plays. One play will then be selected to be produced at the NT with a professional cast and crew, alongside rehearsed readings of the shortlisted plays.
The online course, written by playwright Jemma Kennedy, is accessible to everyone, but participating schools and colleges have the unique benefit of in-school workshops with professional writers, tickets to National Theatre productions or NT Live broadcasts, CPD for teachers, support from the National Theatre Learning Department and entry into the New Views playwriting programme.
This year we are working with 90 schools nationwide as well as in Hubs around the UK and a Partner Theatre programme at Theatre Royal Wakefield, Leeds Playhouse and Bristol Old Vic.
Find out more about New Views on our dedicated microsite: www.new-views.tv
The National Theatre's Partner for Learning is Bank of America.
New Views is supported by:
Old Possum’s Practical Trust
Chapman Charitable Trust
The Steel Charitable Trust
Take part in New Views
Applications for New Views 2019/2020 have now closed. If you would like to be added to the mailing list for New Views 2020/2021 please fill in our expression of interest form.
What will students gain from taking part in New Views?
Through participating in the New Views programme students will have the unique and exciting opportunity to:
• Explore their talent and sharpen their approach to research, as well as their ability to develop and articulate ideas on key ethical questions and dilemmas.
• Develop a sense of connection to the arts, a lifelong enthusiasm for theatre and an understanding of the power of theatre to engage audiences in serious debate.
• Develop their transferable skills for employment and further study including self-management, team working and communication, application of literacy, problem solving, independence and critical engagement with subject material.
Who can take part?
Any school or college can apply to participate in the programme.
• This year New Views will work with approximately 70 schools and colleges from across the UK.
• Each school or college will establish a student group of approximately 6 - 12 participants.
• New Views is aimed at school years 10 - 13, although both younger and older students may take part at the discretion of individual schools and colleges.
How much does it cost to take part?
State Schools: £300 (Bursaries are available; contact us to find out more.)
Independent Schools: £600*
* This fee includes sponsoring a state school to take part in New Views. Independent schools invite a state school to take part and sponsor the cost of their place on New Views. The National Theatre will support independent schools in finding a local state school.
WARNING: The materials used in this programme sometimes contain strong language and controversial subject matter which some might find offensive.
N.B. The views expressed in recorded interviews are those of the playwrights only, and not of the National Theatre.