NT Hire Dept is open by appointment only
We are very pleased to announce the re-opening of the National Theatre’s Hire Department, following its closure due to the pandemic. The Hire team are excited to be welcoming back our loyal customers and, hopefully, some new ones.
We have undertaken a workplace risk assessment to ensure that that National Theatre Hire department is safe and COVID-Secure. This will be regularly assessed and updated as necessary.
As a result of COVID, and because we are re-opening with a smaller Hire Team, we have introduced some operational changes to enable the team to manage the workload, whilst keeping themselves and customers safe. We would appreciate your patience and consideration as staff implement these necessary changes.
Our Hire department offers thousands of beautifully crafted costumes, furniture props and armour from past National Theatre productions. The majority of our collection is made in the National’s renowned workshops, ensuring each piece is unique and of the highest quality.
Who can hire
We offer our services for TV, film and theatre productions, to photographers wanting to recreate an authentic image, and provide an extensive resource for schools and colleges and amateur theatrical societies.
Fancy Dress: Unfortunately, we have had to take the difficult business decision to suspend our fancy dress/ individual hire service. We will be taking bookings for theatrical/professional/ educational use only.
Our costumes and props have been used by various organisations, schools and groups such as: Royal Shakespeare Company, Punchdrunk Theatrical Experiences Ltd. Curve Theatre, Barbican, Headlong Theatre, Philharmonic Orchestra, Opera Theatre Europe, London Sinfonia, Westminster School, Alleyn’s School, Bishop Thomas Grant and Royal Docks Community School.
For Costume hire
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7452 3970
For Props hire
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7820 1358
- Student Tours: Regrettably, due to limited visitor numbers we are currently unable to offer student tours
- Work Experience: Regrettably we are currently unable to offer work placements
National Theatre Costume Hire
Kennington Park Business Estate
1-3 Brixton Road
London SW9 6DE
See the map below for directions
By appointment only (sorry, no walk-ins)
We will be open for customer appointments on Monday to Thursday
Costume Hire – customers will be offered either an AM (9.30-12.30), or PM (1.30- 4.30) appointments
- Fittings: Fitting rooms must be booked in advance
Props Hire – customers will be offered a 1 hour timed appointment.
So that the Hire Team can manage the diary and the number of visitors in the buildings please do not bring additional people to your appointment, unless previously agreed with Hire staff.
To keep customers and staff safe, and to streamline some processes we have introduced the following procedures:
- We have undertaken an extensive risk assessment in respect of COVID-19 and put appropriate measures in place to keep staff and customers safe. The risk assessment is available to view on this website.
- Installation of signage and floor markings to reinforce safety measures concerning hygiene & social distancing.
- Government expects and recommends that people should continue to wear face coverings in settings where they come in to contact with lots of different persons, to protect themselves and others. We request that visitors to wear a face covering throughout their visit, except when working alone or in an existing bubble away from other persons. This is to support the continued welfare and safety our staff and other visitors. If you are exempt, we would appreciate if you could advise our team on arrival.
- Provision of anti-bac gel dispensers at entries and throughout the buildings
- Provision of Sanitising Stations in warehouses
- Increased cleaning regime focusing on disinfection and sanitization, of the building and our stock
- Contact Trace posters displaying QR codes for customers and staff to complete the digital sign-in forms
- Removal of soft furnishings from receptions
- Payments - the NT Hire Dept has gone cashless - payments by BACS or credit/debit card only
- Introduction of digital reservation forms
- Introduction of digital parking forms
Travel and Parking
Underground: Oval (Northern line, 2 minute walk)
Rail: Vauxhall (15 minute walk)
Buses: 3, 36, 59, 133, 155, 159, 185, 196, 333, 436, 417 stop nearby
Car Park: Free customer parking - on arrival please ask staff for a parking form to avoid a PCN
The Costume and Prop Hire stores are located on ground floor level. If you have any specific access requirements please call ahead.