Arriving at the National Theatre
- Taxis: The recommended taxi drop-off points for all three theatres are on Stage Door Avenue, which is the private road on the east of the building, between the National Theatre and IBM.
The points are halfway down for the Dorfman Theatre, and next to Stage Door for the Olivier and Lyttelton theatres, followed by a walk around to the front of the building.
- Cars: There is a car park beneath the National Theatre and the entrance ramp is located on the south-west corner of the building, on Upper Ground.
Our car park has wheelchair and lift access during National Theatre opening hours (see Your visit for opening hours). There are 25 concessionary wheelchair spaces but if these are full, staff can point you in the right direction for street-level parking.
- The main entrance to the National Theatre is on the river side of the building and has automatic sliding glass doors.
It is the entrance for the Olivier Theatre and Lyttelton Theatre, and also the main Box Office, Bookshop, Kitchen restaurant, ground floor bar and spacious foyer facilities.
There are four lifts that give access to the Olivier Stalls and Circle, and the car park.
In the Lyttelton Stalls foyer (on the ground floor) there is a glass lift giving access to the Lyttelton Circle and the Terrace Cafe
All other entrances have wide, glass swing doors.
- The entrance into the Dorfman Theatre is via ramp access, off Stage Door Avenue, and has button-operated swing glass doors.
The foyer has a cafe, performance Box Office and provides step free access to the Dorfman Circle, and lift access to the Dorfman Gallery.
- Floor surfaces: The floor in the main entrance foyer is a combination of carpets, granite and a hard brick surface by the four main lifts.
House, the Terrace Bar and Olivier Café have hardwood floors. The rest of the building is carpeted, with the cloakrooms, and bars edged with granite paving.
The Dorfman Theatre flooring is a combination of wood in the foyers and carpet in the theatre.
- Accessible toilets are available in the Understudy bar, Kitchen cafe and the main building - staff can point you in the right direction.