Write about what switches you on. A nationwide playwriting competition for 15−19 year olds. For more information visit newviews.tv
Take Part in New Views 2013/14
New Views is the National Theatre’s annual playwriting programme for 15−19s. Each year hundreds of students from across the world learn about playwriting from some of the finest writers in the business and write their own 30minute plays, with one play chosen to be staged at the NT with a professional cast. Join 80 schools and colleges in the UK and beyond to take part in New Views 2013/14. Applications are open now.
How New Views works
WORK WITH THE PROFESSIONALS
Students follow our specially created online course for school-based writing groups; see NT productions − in London or in local cinemas via National Theatre Live − and take part in workshops with professional writers (October 2013-March 2014).
Students write half-hour plays about the real-life issues that matter to them (December 2013 − April 2014), stage readings of their work in school and have a chance to see their play produced by the National Theatre with a professional cast (July 2014).
Teachers visit the NT for training and support to establish and lead thriving extra-curricular writing groups in school or college (October 2013). We encourage participating schools to combine New Views with the Gold Arts Award and we offer Gold Award Adviser training as part of the package. (November 2013). There’s also the chance to submit your play to the NT and receive feedback from the Literary Department.
Who can take part?
- New Views will work with a total of 80 schools and colleges from around the UK and worldwide
- Any school can apply to take part in the programme. We particularly welcome applications from schools in areas of high social deprivation.
- Each school will establish a student group of 5−10 students − but talk to us if you're not sure if you'll be able to get as many as that or if you have more students keen to take part
- The programme is aimed at Yrs11−13 although younger students may take part at the discretion of individual schools
What will students gain from the New Views programme?
Through taking part in the New Views programme students will have a unique and exciting opportunity to:
- Explore their talent, sharpen their approach to research, as well as their ability to develop and articulate ideas on key ethical questions and dilemmas
- Develop a sense of connection to the arts, a lifelong enthusiasm for theatre and an understanding of the power of theatre to engage audiences in serious debate
- Develop their transferable skills for employment and further study including self-management; team working; communication; application of literacy; problem solving; independence and critical engagement with subject material
New Views 2012/13
This year's programme is running in 50 schools nationwide as well as in our first international school in San Francisco, California. Everything culminates this summer with a festival of new plays at the National Theatre.
The Shed, 11 and 12 July, 6pm,
Houses of Parliament on 15 July
Lunchtime rehearsed readings of nine runners-up
8−12 and 16−19 July, 12.45pm
Book tickets from June 4.
New Views 2012/13 is supported by:
The Transformation Trust, a social mobility charity dedicated to opening the doors of opportunity to young people across the country. The Trust works with some of the most challenged schools in the country, offering their pupils opportunities and experiences, such as New Views, that help them to develop skills and build their confidence.
The Chapman Charitable Trust
If you have any questions about taking part, please contact New Views Programme Coordinator Kate Young on 020 7452 3692 or firstname.lastname@example.org